HEALTH BENEFITS OF EXERCISE ASSOCIATED WITH CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE RISK FACTORS IN THE ELDERLY
Aerobic training promotes the following benefits associated with cardiovascular disease risk factors:
• Decreased blood pressure in hypertensive elderly;
• Decreased percentage of fat mass;
• Light or moderate aerobic exercise increases insulin sensitivity and increases glucose transporters, being important in the treatment and prevention of diabetes.
There are other benefits to cardiorespiratory and strength training that Personal Trainers cites:
• Improved body stability with training programs that include balance, coordination, gait, weight transfer training to reduce the risk of falls;
• Increased flexibility and range of joint movement;
• Improvement in cognitive function;
• Improvement of depression states;
• Improvement of motor control and self-efficacy, determinants in the functional capacity of the elderly.
Text by Diogo Lopes